Thursday, November 8, 2007

Day 26??? (Thursday) : Alive and Well after Crossing the Salar de Uyuni

Hi All,

Just a short note to let a few folks know I am alive and well ;)

I have cycled the last 6 days...about 500km...the last 2 days on the Salar de Uniyi...a massive salt lake/desert that defies decsription...I´m still having a great time (although a bit burnt!)and my Spanish is improving because it has had to!:)

I had one wicked desert crossing 4 days ago to get to the Salar, of course I wamted to take the path less travelled...14 hours to to 140km...I did the last 2.5 hours in the dark, cold and wind...no map, broken headlamp...great AR training ;(

Last night I sleep on the Isla de Incahausi(sp) in the middle of the Salar and nearly got blown away....I was pretty freaked out...the cold, wind, feeling of isolation...everytime I moved my watch would light up and freak me out some more...I was quite the scardie cat!

I will update my blog with pics etc (they are amazing!) over the next6 24 hours or so....so far the web connection has been too slow :(

I am in a small town on the edge of the Salar called Uyuni about to go out for pizza and cervasa :)

I hope everybody is well!

Cheers and all the best,
Neal

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to "civilization"! (Civilization being defined as a place where you can buy a cold beer.)

Looking forward to story and pics. A.

Anonymous said...

Hi, So pleased to get your call. I almost freaked out when I saw the weather forcast for Uyuni....high wind and COLD. Not the best for biking!!! Nice to know that you are across the Salar and safe - look forward to the pics.
Pizza and beer sound like good medicine. Well Done. Cheers!!