Sunday, November 4, 2007

Day 19: Oruro to Challapata 122km/6.5 hours

Hi All,

I am tired and more then a bit sunburnt so i dragged my feet leavnig town...I hoped to be riding before 11am but didn´t leave till 12:30pm. I decided to head south and see how it went...there is very little in accomodation/villiages so I was hopeful I wouldn't have to pull the tent out.



Getting out of town was worse then getting in...lots of bad directions, traffic and no road signs had me frustrated and on edge. Fortunately things rapidly improved once I was out of town...I really find that riding is a naturtal mood enhancer :)


Looking back at Oruro...its a mining town sitting on top of the tin rich hills



It was a bit of a grind of a ride but I knew it would be the last sealed road I'd be seeing for a while so I tried to make the most of it.

Llama crossing...kinda like a sheep crossing in NZ :)



Challapata sits a cross road to Uyuni & Potosi...making hostels likely :)


I arrived right on sunset and happiy it had a few hostels to choose from.


I chose to spend an extra $0.25 to stay in the best one...it kinda reminded me of Melrose place.

I found a clean looking restaurant for dinner and beers...got a free Spanish lesson thrown in from a youg guy keen to talk English...I also found the worlds slowest internet connection....1 hour to sent 1 email (just text!)

I hope all is well!

All the best and cheers,
Neal

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to get your call yesterday!and to find Challapata Village on the map. A big ride ahead but it looks as if with a little bit of luck!?! you should find a bed there.
Then on to climb Thunupa Volcano.
I thought you might like to check out this web site as there are some facts and photos of that part of the world. www.condorjourneys-adventures.com/bolivia_lipez.asp A different land that's for sure. It looks as if the link is not working. No worries. Take Care - Eat well - Keep warm. Love Mum

Namrita O'Dea said...

Hey Neal!

When are you coming back? McCrays is calling.........

Glad you're doing well.

Namrita

Neal said...

Hi Mum,

Thanks for the advice...as sound as usual :)

Hey Namrita!

Please leave a bit of beer at Mcrays for me ;) I was going to return on the 12th but tomorrow I will extend my trip a week or two....to many hills left to climb :)

I am VERY much looking forward to that first (second, third....) cold beer with you and Eddie!

Cheers,
Neal