Thursday, October 11, 2007

Packing & Planning - only 3 days to go!

Hi All,

Planning and packing has began! Since I only decided to do this a few days ago I guess i should be happy to be this far along...

What I have (a big mess...) :

1. Air tickets - Depart 10/15 to La Paz, Bolivia & Return 11/12 from Santa Cruz (all for a tad over US$800).
2. Bike - I picked up my Novara Safari from REI today...all very exciting :) I added rim tape and changed out the tires to some more suitable for rough riding. I swapped the seat from my Mtn bike and swapped out the pedals for dual use cage/spd's...I still don't know what will work best in Bolivia.

3. Racks and Paniers - The Safari comes with a bomber back rack and I purchased a front rack (AC Low Rider) from Old Man Mountain. A friend (thanks Lisa R.!) had some kick a$$ paniers in her basement and kindly lent them to me & I had some REI front paniers in my gear attic.

4. I had almost everything else I needed from years of expedition racing but did need a liquid fuel stove for the high altitudes, a sleeping mat, solo cooking gear. Of course i used the trip as an excuse to buy some new technical clothing :)

What I have to do (HEAPS) :

There is a LOT of important work to do...I need to finalize the following:

1. First Aid Kit - I'll be in remote areas for extended times so its got to be extensive.

2. Bike tools and spare parts - I've got to careful not to forget something critical but also watch for excessive weight!
3. $$$ and documents - I've got sort out how I'll not get ripped off and get stranded without cash...Arrhhh!
4. Book accomodations for the first night(s) in La Paz...its nice to arrive with a place to go!

5. Make sure my company and dog Trooper (see pic) will be happy while I'm gone - ETG won't miss me too much BUT I will miss Trooper, especially during the cold nights!

6. Test the bike (will everything fit in the panniers?!?!) and a test ride (can i climb when the bike is fully loaded?!?!)

So much more that i haven't even thought of yet! Yep, Bloody HEAPS! :)

Cheers,
Neal

No comments: