Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Day 2: Neal gets sick as a dog! :(

Well day 2 in La Paz was not a lot of fun...it was 7:30pm before I ventured out of my room...I think I hit the daily double...a stomach bug and altitude sickness. I could not eat anything and even drinking something was tough as i knew what that meant... Anyway, I am very glad i was in a hotel room and not in my tent somewhere off the map. I have just got back from a big but simple meal and all is well! I will drink a bunch of fluids tonite and expect I´ll be 100% tomorrow morning.

Tomorrow I will start the ride...I´ve decided to ride to Lake Titicaca and take a ferry to Chile and then ride back towards La Paz...that should take 5-6 days depending on weather and my legs/lungs. After that I may look at climbing Sajama(sp), its the highest point in Bolivia at about 21,500ft - that did seem like a much better idea before i got sick!...so we shall see. I can hire a guide for around $250 and that includes food and mountaineering gear...its a 3-4 day climb. I am not sure about 2 peeps on ropes crossing the glaciers etc...3 minimum sounds much better to me. Anyway - the next 5-6 days will certainly help me firm up my plans.

I am looking forward to getting out of La Paz...during the day i feel OK walking around but its almost 10pm and even the short walk to the hotel has me bit wigged out...it reminds me of the worse parts of Manilla. La Paz is certainly a cowboy town of the first order!

Cheers,
Neal

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to get your call. Hope that you are feeling much better now. You do give me lots of laughs and MANY grey hairs - almost turned white when I saw my Email on your site.
However pleased that you are having a few days in La Paz to get sorted. Now you are almost on your way. Have a GREAT ADVENTURE and come HOME SAFE. Listen to big brother Alan - good advice.
Note - Beware LLamas can / do spit with good range and velocity!! Dodge'em.
Have Fun. Take Care. Love Mum

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you're not so well... it seems that the bowel has it own acclimatisation requirements!
It's good to get it over with now as it should give you a good tough constitution for the weeks ahead.
The blog is really great - thanks heaps.
Happy riding tomorrow.
A

Namrita O'Dea said...

Good luck with the ride! Glad you're feeling better.