Thursday, October 18, 2007

Day 3 Getting on the Bike and Leaving La Paz

I didn´t get much sleep last night but this morning my headaches pretty much gone and I´ve decided its time to leave...I will hopefully make it to the edge of Lake Titicaca...about a 65km ride..its pretty flat (I think as my map shows only 100m intervals) but it all at an elevation above 13,000ft...add in the heavy panniers and it will be a workout.


View from my hotel of the 3 sister´s...a very tricky climb...apparantly the Inca´s used to sacrifice people there many years ago and its climbs the lives of many climbers ' locals say the mountain is still hungry. I won´t be trying to climb it anytime soon!





Call me a wuss but I am going to get a $3 taxi ride to Alto La Paz...its a VERY steep climb of over 1000ft with nasty traffic and I don´t even have a decent map to follow...I am sure I´ll get my share of climbing during this trip!



Final thoughts on La Paz, its an amazing city...I did not expect to see so much indiginous culture blending in with modern city life. Its setting in a valley at 12,000ft surrounded by high peaks is awesome. The people have been freindly but not intrusive...tourism doesn´t seem to have made much of an impact outside a very well defined few blocks downtown. I´d reccommend watching your step here and taking more care then I did when booking a hotel, a great deal but its best not to be walking home too late. Food choices are good and the prices are very good...after i was sick I searched out the flashest restaurant i could find and still ónly paid $8 for a 4 course meal.



It may be a day or 2 before I can post again...I hope everybody is well.



Cheers,



Neal

No comments: