Saturday, October 27, 2007

Day 12?: Welcome to the Jungle and a Friend gets Mugged :(

UPDATE Nov 2: Finally got some pics uploaded...more to come in a day or so.

Welcome to the Jungle:

Just got back to Rurrenbaque after 2 days in the jungle...seven of us travelled 3 hours upriver and stayed in very primitvie hunts. We did 3 pretty long treks...one at night and the last in the rain...all very cool. We got to see Howler monkeys, wild pigs, the worlds larget rodents, huge tralantralas(big spider lol) etc and had a great guide that taught up a lot abot the fauna and flora of jungle. The total cost was US$40 for everything...the food was great I am off for beers with the guys/girls from the trip and then tomorrow I am going on a Pampas trip...its even more full on...most folks going here will get to capture/release an Anaconda, swim with the pink Dolphins, see Camians(sp) etc....lots of snakes and monkeys plus a fair bit of adventure as well! I won´t be back for 3-4 days and no pics till I get back to La Paz and fast internet. My friend Ondrej get mugged in Santa Cruz :(: I just got this note from my Sloviakian friend...VERY back news and I am very soory to read this...as he saids he is lucky to still have his camera and of course to be unhurt. "hey guys i got a warning for u...especially if u r coming to santa cruz--- i know that u probably read a lot of about fake police.... so they got me here.,...2fat guys forced me to go their car...check all my stuff and i end up short of 400dolars.(it was very scary,they dont play with u be honest i was lucky to have still my camera, which cost much more)..i know , probably u think nothing can happen to us...but please be aware...they have connections with taxi drivers and im sure with police also ...dont walk alone which happened to me ..it was riot here that day in center and i couldnt get home due to police used gas and i couldnt passed end up in different street and they got me there ...... well, im staying in residencia bolivar..nice place..great breakfest and probably safe place...nice people there leaving on sunday to bueno aires.,...i got a ticket... take care and let me know if u get here......." I hope to meet you in Santa Cruz - take care mate! Cheers, Neal PS My hand is improving so i should be on the bike before too long :)











Welcome to the Jungle:

Just got back to Rurrenbaque after 2 days in the jungle...seven of us travelled 3 hours upriver and stayed in very primitvie hunts. We did 3 pretty long treks...one at night and the last in the rain...all very cool. We got to see Howler monkeys, wild pigs, the worlds larget rodents, huge tralantralas(big spider lol) etc and had a great guide that taught up a lot abot the fauna and flora of jungle. The total cost was US$40 for everything...the food was great

I am off for beers with the guys/girls from the trip and then tomorrow I am going on a Pampas trip...its even more full on...most folks going here will get to capture/release an Anaconda, swim with the pink Dolphins, see Camians(sp) etc....lots of snakes and monkeys plus a fair bit of adventure as well!

I won´t be back for 3-4 days and no pics till I get back to La Paz and fast internet.

My friend Ondrej get mugged in Santa Cruz :(:

I just got this note from my Sloviakian friend...VERY back news and I am very soory to read this...as he saids he is lucky to still have his camera and of course to be unhurt.

"hey guys
i got a warning for u...especially if u r coming to santa cruz---
i know that u probably read a lot of about fake police....
so they got me here.,...2fat guys forced me to go their car...check all my stuff and i end up short of 400dolars.(it was very scary,they dont play with u be honest i was lucky to have still my camera, which cost much more)..i know , probably u think nothing can happen to us...but please be aware...they have connections with taxi drivers and im sure with police also ...dont walk alone which happened to me ..it was riot here that day in center and i couldnt get home due to police used gas and i couldnt passed end up in different street and they got me there ......
well, im staying in residencia bolivar..nice place..great breakfest and probably safe place...nice people there
leaving on sunday to bueno aires.,...i got a ticket...
take care and let me know if u get here......."


I hope to meet you in Santa Cruz - take care mate!

Cheers,
Neal

PS My hand is improving so i should be on the bike before too long :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Terrible thing to have happened but as you say, lucky not to have been hurt. Also, I hope that hearing a first hand account of a 'could go wrong' scenario from a friend will reaffirm your vow to not take any chances!
Looking forward to the jungle pictures!

Unknown said...

Is Bolivia's 'Death Road' on your agenda? Check out this blog post.

http://theadventureblog.blogspot.com/2007/10/biking-bolivias-death-road.html

I hope you don't mind but I also mentioned your trip to 'The Adventure Blogger' and he made a post about it on his blog.

http://theadventureblog.blogspot.com/2007/10/bolivia-by-mountain-bike.html

Neal said...

Hi Lorna,

I hope you are doing great!

I gave the Death rode ride a miss...from what i understand i{ll get to ride someinteresting roads crossing the Andes...BUT everybody does rave about it.

Great to hear from you and please share my blog with whoever might be interested.

Thanks & Cheers,
Neal