Thursday, October 25, 2007

DAY 10: Political Unrest( everywhere?)...so a later flight to Rurrenbaque (I hope)

Hi All,

I got up late and checked on my flight to Rurrenbaque (Amazon basin)...it was scheduled for 11:30am...BUT no...there is a strike (grhhh!). After getting folks to call arounf for me, it appears that I'll get to fly out at 3pm...we will see... That is travel in a 3 rd world somewhat unstable country...you have to relax and go with the flow.

As if to prove the airline wasn't lying to me as soon as got back on the street a heard gunshots...OK I thought for a moment it might be gunshots ;). I walked down towards the commotion and sure enough a big political protest.





I noticed a bit more action 100 yards further down and decided I'd play Clark Kent/Anderson Cooper for a few minutes and get in on the action. There were 2 goups gtting into it when I arrived...throwing trash, insults and some pushing and shoving...all very exciting!

The guy in the brown jacket is the head hombre...talk about passion!

I took a cool 30 sec video but the dam thing won't upload (grhhhhh) maybe later...

My flight is in a few hours so I am off to find another phrase book...I lost my last one...fortunately a few folks on Trailblazers forum are trying to help me out...or possibly get me arrested...I am not sure :)

All the best and cheers,
Neal

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Remember - You only run into problems when you are in the wrong place at the wrong time....Watch it!!
Thought you might like to know what the protest was about.
UMSA is the San Andres University La paz. My best guess (reading Spanish!!) is that the IDH who distribute money receieved as hydrocarbon taxes to the cities have reduced / cut this amount
This is a disaster for the people who feel that this money belongs to the Bolivian People where it is used for welfare, health and other benefits. There are many protests all over Bolivia. This is not uncommon. Watch it - Take Care - Love Mum