Friday, October 12, 2007

Hmmmm....my Mum's email....



My Mum backpacked around Bolivia and a big hunk of SA in 1978&79...I seem to remember she left some $$ on top of the fridge and told us "she'd be back" so she is talking from experience. here is a pic of Mum (Bet) from 1978 somewhere in SA....possibly on the upper amazon & a sample of Bolivian roads...I doubt they have got much better :)


I can't want to try the hand in boiling water trick...look for video on the blog soon - I've packed some burn cream just in case ;)

" NEAL, WHAT THE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is no joke...... Have you any idea what you are planning to do? You really need a mate and even that would be dangerous. I will write lots more tonight. I have
had altitude sickness and at a time like that you need someone. preferably with local knowledge. I Know I drank some strange concoction and it helped. There
is coca tea in moderation!! Also onions are good At altitude things go strange toothpaste tubes blow up and you can put your hand in boiling water. Lack of oxygen is a real problem even with walking. It effects people differently - the fit and the non fit

You must get local knowledge - from memory some of those places are not good to be. Your passport and gear would be enough to set some families up for life. You have only to stumble into a coca operation and you are worth nothing.

Go for an adventure if you must - take a mate - stick to more main roads. - get some knowledge - take a /several dictionaries You will have enough trouble peddaling at altitude and the cold. I remember on the road from Lake titicaca to La Paz there were dogs who had died on the road still lying there.
If you must go, get a llama - at least you can milk it, eat it and wear it if you must and things are desperate!!!




More later.



You have a heart of gold but your brain...................




Cheers
MUM"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Buying a llama is a really good idea... it could also keep you nice and warm at night ;)

Namrita O'Dea said...

haha, that email is great. you should listen to your mum...get a llama :)

Namrita O'Dea said...

Well you must be on your way by now...be safe and have fun! Post some updates too :)

Anonymous said...

FINAL ADVICE
I've been doing some reading and there are three things that you really need to know:

1. DO NOT try to ride the llamas. (No, you really, really must not do this.)

2. DO NOT overindulge in "Mum's coca tea" - it will just make you want to ride the llamas more.

3. DO NOT accidentally eat any beetle turds - it will make you very sick (Chagas Disease) and make you feel like you'd fallen off a llama and had the crap kicked out of you.

Neal said...

Hey Namrita,

Been here for 3 hours and I am posting...off to visit a bike shop...I am hoping for a last minute woublenaught fit!

Hey Bro,

Thanks for you advice!

Been here 3 hours and had two large pots of Coca tea ...then scooped out the leaves and chewed for a while....GOOD STUFF.

I did read about the beetles and brough a mosquito nets if I stay in some dodgy places or with villages.

As for riding a LLama....what happens in Bolivia stays in Bolivia ;)

Cheers,
Neal