Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Day 1 La Paz : Coca Tea & Bike Shops



the view driving down from Alto La Paz to La Paz

Hi All,

The airport at La Paz is actually at Alto La PAz...about a 13,000ft above regular la Paz which sits at abot 12,000ft. Flying from sea level to la Paz is not to be recommended but it seemed to make sense to me when at midnight a few days ago when I brought tickets online. I´ve been here 3 hours (its 9:30am) and I finished my second pot of Coca tea and even chewed a few leaves for good measure...I blame that altitude and the tea for partically stripping a bolt while assembling my bike...I think it will be OK and I have have spare nuts and bolts that i should be able to get work...worse case.


this is the infamous Coca tea...pretty dam tasty - $0.25 a pot :)

I can REALLY feel the altitude so expect it will be a day or two before I ride off...being the last minute planner I am I didn´t book a hotel until I was waiting in Miami...I pulled out my Lonely Planet and my cell phone (I took it by mistake) and called Hotel La Joya...I got I guy named "Ourey"? that spoke little english and we had a difficult conversation the guts being I arrive at Alto La PAx to be met but a elderly gentlemen holding a sign that said "NEOW" - I guess he struggled as much as I did.

I am off to visit gravity bikes www.gravitybolivia.com to get some local advice, see what the spare part situation is and maybe book a bike trip on the "worlds most dnagerous road" or maybe some local mountain biking which is suppose to be amazing. Its a great site with pics and videos...well worth checking out by Mtn bikers reading this.

All the best and cheers,
Neal

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's a good thing that you'll be in La Paz for a few days... looking at tea you won't want to be too far from the bathroom!!!